February 23, 2006

Working Children

OK, so this week's been even crazier than last... I not only got Nathan's cold, I got an ear infection and apparently reinjured my neck (I herniated the disc between C5/C6 in my neck a little over three years ago; it stabilized with steroids, so I didn't have to have surgery - now the injury's back). Once again, pain in my shoulders, radiating down my left arm, and some tingling sensations in my thumb and first two fingers on my left hand (the bulging disc was pressing on a spinal nerve).

I came away from my doctor's appointment Monday afternoon with antibiotics (for the ear infection), steroids (for the disc) and painkillers (to keep me happy throughout). Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday I was on 60mg of codeine every four hours. I was a very happy girl... I kept looking at Trent and telling him how much I loved him. He kept laughing at me and shaking his head.

I'm trying to wean myself off the Tylenol 3 (the stash is getting low, for one thing), but I'm still wearing a cervical collar in an attempt to keep my neck immobilized. It's amazing how much more I appreciate my body's ability to move when it's restricted. There are a couple of times I've had to feed Nathan by Braille - I can't see what I'm doing or how he's doing!

Now that I've excused myself for the lack of posts, I had to share this picture my sister sent me; it sends me into cackles just looking at it. Makes me want to get one for Nathan:

The text accompanying the picture is this -
"After the birth of a child there's always the temptation to say, 'Yes, it's cute, but what can it do?' Until recently the answer was simply 'lie there and cry,' but now babies can be put on the payroll, so to speak, almost as soon as they're born.

"Just dress your young one in Baby Mops and set him or her down on any hard wood or tile floor that needs cleaning. You may at first need to get things started by calling to the infant form across the room, but pretty soon they'll be doing it all by themselves.

"There's no child exploitation involved. The kid is doing what he does best anyway: crawling. But with Baby Mops he's also learning responsibility and a healthy work ethic."

Cool.

No comments: