March 26, 2006

Joys & Concerns

At my former corporate job, we'd take turns sharing what was working and what wasn't in our various projects. One of my team members jokingly called it "Joys and Concerns," referencing a Methodist custom of asking for prayer requests by asking the congregation if anyone had any joys or concerns.

My joys seem uppermost tonight.
A wonderful, cradle-to-grave girlfriend is moving back to the area. She's the sort of friend I only have contact with once a year, but we're able to dive deep into what's really important to us now without any shallow social chitchat. Not only will we be able to connect more often, our houses are actually going to be within four blocks of each other. Talk about God having a sense of humor...

Another joy? A dear friend gave birth to her first several weeks ago. On a recent journal entry online, she (writing from her baby son's perspective) mentioned that he had slept for two four-hour sessions between feedings and that both Mommy and Daddy were glad for the extra sleep.

I'm pretty sure I'll be there again someday, but right now I'm extremely grateful to be where I am with a six-month-old. Nathan wakes once during the night ~3:30, eats, is back in bed without a murmur 15 minutes later, sleeps 'til 6:30/7, is awake/cute/interactive/eats for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, sleeps from 9-10:30/11, is awake/cute/interactive/eats for another 2 hours, sleeps for ~2-3 hours more, has one more 2-hr awake session, eats one last time, and goes down to bed for the night at 6 p.m.

Yes, you read that correctly: 6:00 p.m.
He's gone entire nights without waking - 6 p.m. until 6:30/7 a.m.

12 1/2 to 13 hours of sleeping.

Sometimes I wonder if I should be concerned that he sleeps upwards of 16 hours a day; but he's alert, cheerful, eats well, is active - and is just stinkin' cute. In the picture below, he's trying to grab his shadow off the bottom of the clothes basket. Cheap entertainment.

No comments: